Dosbarth Mr Curtis

For latest class updates, log into ‘Teams’ through Microsoft Office in HWB.

Our ‘Teams’ meetings will be on Mondays at 1:15-1:45pm. You will have the opportunity to see your teachers and other pupils and talk to them.

If you have any questions, please contact me through ‘Teams,’ email or Class Dojo.

Week Beginning 29th June 2020

This week we look forward to welcoming back many of our pupils into class. It feels like it’s been a really long time now, and it will be lovely to see you. The children that are coming back to school should now know what days they will be in, however if you are are unsure or have any questions or queries, please contact me through Class Dojo messages or by email: curtisw3@hwbcymru.net Alternatively, contact school directly.

As you can see in the pictures below, there have been a few changes made in the class to help ensure the safety of everyone!

Microsoft Teams:

As we begin to move forward into ‘blended learning,’ we will now be using Microsoft Teams to access our class work. I have set up a class page and started adding some work for the children to complete.

To access ‘Teams’ you will need to have your HWB EMAIL ADDRESS AND PASSWORD.

Again, if you are unsure please contact me on Class Dojo Messages or curtisw3@hwbcymru.net

I will be available to talk to you (and the children) on Monday 29th, through Teams between 1:15-2:15pm. You should receive an invite for this once you have accessed Teams. You can ‘drop in’ at any point during this hour if you have any questions or just want to see some familiar faces.

It would be lovely to see you!

These links may will help you to access Microsoft Teams:

Teams-information-sheet

http://blaendulais-primary-school.j2bloggy.com/blog/where-do-i-find-microsoft-teams/22nd June 2020

Take care all, and I look forward to seeing many of you this week!

Mr. Curtis

Hello everyone! Bore da! I hope you are all well. It was lovely to see some of the work you’ve been doing on HWB. Some good work using ‘Turtle,’ a few more animations and lots of Maths and spelling practise using J2Blast. Well done.

I’m very much looking forward to seeing some of you next week when many of you will be back in school to check in, and catch up! Messages have been sent to all your parents, and there are updates on the school website, so please check regularly.

Anyway, I’ve uploaded a few more activities for you to try at home this week. I look forward to seeing what you can do. ENJOY!

ENGLISH:

Write a story using JIT5 Write. Choose an animal as your character. What adventure do they go on? What happens to them?

Watch the CLIP BELOW for an example of what you could do and how to use the programme JIT5 Write.

MATHS:

A few task to help you practise Doubling, halving and sharing equally.

Level 1: (halving) ‘Bees in the garden’

Level 2: (sharing) ‘feeding the owlets’

Level 3: (doubling) ‘Jungle race’

Please continue to practise maths using J2Blast:

(Use J2E – J2Blast- SATsBlast Level 1. See how you get and you can move up the levels as you improve)

WELSH:

I’ve uploaded these resources to help you learn vocabulary for food..

You could practice putting them into your own sentences…

Dw i’n hoffi bwyta…..   (I like to eat….)

Dw i ddim yn hoffi fwyta….. (I don’t like to eat….)

food vocabulary

Food powerpoint

Tric a Chlic:

TOPIC:

Please carry on with any of the activities from last week if you haven’t done them or would like to spend more time on them.

I will leave these tutorials up if you’d like to have another look at them.

simple:

advanced:

JIT5 J@Animate: follow the tutorial to see if you can make your own animation.

PE/GAMES:

Continue with different activities in your garden. Try to link this to your maths work on time. You could:

use a watch to time 1 minute or 2 minutes. How many star jumps, squats, sit-ups etc.. can you do in that time? (try to beat your record)

or

time how long it takes you to do:

10 star jumps, 10 sit ups, run around the garden 3 times, kick a ball against a wall 10 times, etc… always try to beat your record!

Have fun…!!!

You could also try:

Joe Wickes

5 a day fitness

Mr. Ffit

A few links to support additional home learning:

ENGLISH:

100 high frequency words

Phonics:

‘jolly phonics’ activity sheets:

group 1     group 2       group 3      group 4        group 5       group 6         group 7

jolly phonics song: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wpdvv

‘th’ sound ‘th’ sound activity sheet

CVC words:

CVC activity book

CVC words Powerpoint

https://mrsvschickadees.com/2019/12/12/the-best-list-of-cvc-words-free/  (list of CVC words)

Maths support:

1-20 number formation

ordering numbers powerpoint

ordering numbers worksheet

Enjoy the week everyone and I look forward to seeing many of you next week!

15th June 2020

Shwmae boys and girls! I hope everyone is well. It’s been nice to see some of the lovely work that you’ve been doing this week. I watched some of the hedgehog animations that some of you made with Max (the hedgehog) which we both enjoyed very much so well done. A few more activities to keep you busy with this week. I hope you enjoy them.

English:

I’ve added to amazing new writing units for you to try if you wish. The first one is all about Superheroes: you can read about different superheroes and then have a go at making up your own!

The other unit is about Brian Bear’s picnic. You can read or listen to the story and explore it, then you have some activities to try out such as planning what you would have in your own picnic.

Y1-Brian-Bear                               Y2-Superheroes

Maths:

Y1- Compare and order numbers up to 20. teddys toy shop

Y2- Compare and order 2-digit numbers up to 100.Ordering Numbers Differently

Challenge cards: Ordering Numbers Challenge Cards

Addition and Subtraction: Addition and Subtraction Challenge Cards

TOPIC:

J2E Turtle: I’ve added a couple of tutorials for using Turtle in J2E. The 1st is simple level and the 2nd is advanced level. Have fun playing around with this programme and I look forward to seeing what you do this week!

simple:

advanced:

WELSH:

Weather activities: weather activities

Tric a Chlic- reading:

PE/GAMES:

or

time how long it takes you to do:

Have fun…!!!

You could also try:

Joe Wickes

5 a day fitness

Mr. Ffit

ENGLISH:

100 high frequency words

Phonics:

‘jolly phonics’ activity sheets:

‘th’ sound ‘th’ sound activity sheet

CVC words:

CVC activity book

CVC words Powerpoint

Maths support:

1-20 number formation

ordering numbers powerpoint

ordering numbers worksheet

Enjoy the week everyone and I look forward to seeing you all soon!

8th June 2020

ENGLISH:

This week I’d like you read the story ‘Don’t Hog the Hedge’ (link below)

Don’t hog the hedge

Think about what it means to be a good friend.

Complete the ‘friendship hedgehog’ friendship hedgehog

Have a look at these photos of real hedgehogs. Look closely. Can you describe them?

(In the TOPIC section, there is more information about hedgehogs and instructions of how to draw some of the characters from the story)

MATHS:

Number patterns and sequences:

Y1 number patterns             curly caterpillar

Activity Cards – Count Read and Write to 20

Count in 2s, 5s and 10s – Activity Cards

‘Don’t Hog the Hedge’ Addition and Subtraction challenge cards:

Addition and Subtraction Challenge Cards

TOPIC:

hedgehogs : please read this Powerpoint of facts and information about Hedgehogs.

Can you make your own powerpoint or poster to include some information about hedgehogs.

ICT:

ART: Try following these steps to practise drawing characters from the story ‘Don’t Hog the Hedge’

friend- hedgehog Step-by-Step Drawing Instructions

Have you got any leaves in your garden or local area?… Look closely. Think of all the amazing things about them. Try one of these activities.

WELSH:

Tri a Chlic: please watch the video and join in if you can….

….challenge: Can you find out what ‘Hedgehog’ is in Welsh?

PE/GAMES:

or

time how long it takes you to do:

Have fun…!!!

You could also try:

Joe Wickes

5 a day fitness

Mr. Ffit

Have a great week everyone and hope to see you all soon!

ENGLISH:

100 high frequency words

Phonics:

‘jolly phonics’ activity sheets:

‘th’ sound ‘th’ sound activity sheet

CVC words:

CVC activity book

CVC words Powerpoint

Maths support:

1-20 number formation

ordering numbers powerpoint

ordering numbers worksheet

1st June 2020

Good morning all, I hope you’re all well and have been enjoying the glorious weather over the past week. I have enjoyed looking at some of your work on HWB and have noticed that more of you have been using our online resources particularly to help with spelling and maths so well done. I have added a few more activities, links and videos which I hope you can make some use of for this week.

During lockdown, Ben wrote a quiz. I had a go and scored 10 points. If you’d like to have a go and see if you can beat my score, here it is:

(if you like you can send your answers to me on ‘J2message’

ENGLISH:

Have a go at writing some information about an animal that you might find in your garden or in your local area. Some examples might include worm, frog, beetle, ladybird, hedgehog, fox, butterfly, robin, blackbird, snail etc… You could use the internet or a book to find out more about that animal. For example, what it eats, what it looks like, where it lives, any particular unusual features etc.. You could write it on paper and draw a picture to go with it, or you could try doing it on JIT. Look at the example in the video below! (This way I will be able to see your work and make some comments about it to you)

MATHS: This week I would like you to focus on different types of 2D and 3D shapes and symmetrical patterns.

You could try and make a collage using different 2D shapes (see link to Matisse’s Snail below) or you could try and make a 3D sculpture! Try to take photos if you do. You could look around the garden and see if you can find any symmetrical patterns. Can you create your own symmetrical pattern? What shapes have you used?

Below are some further activities that you could try to develop your knowledge and understanding of shapes.

2D shapes          3D shapes            butterfly shape            cautious caterpillar

TOPIC:

Have you seen any snails in your garden?… Look closely. Think of all the amazing things about them. Try one of these activities.

‘Swirl by Swirl’ by Joyce Sidman (click on link below)

Create your own ‘Matisse’ collage: follow link below for further ideas.

https://www.tate.org.uk/kids/make/cut-paste/collage-matisse-snail

WELSH: 

I’ve added a few videos below to look at and join in with if you can. The aim is to practise phonics ‘Pa Sain?’ blend the sounds together ‘Syllu ar y sêr’ and to develop reading ‘Stori’

Pa Sain:https://youtu.be/sazUwyu6h5I

Syllu ar y sêr:

Stori:

PE/GAMES:

or

time how long it takes you to do:

Have fun…!!!

You could also try:

Joe Wickes

5 a day fitness

Mr. Ffit

ENGLISH:

100 high frequency words

Phonics:

‘jolly phonics’ activity sheets:

‘th’ sound ‘th’ sound activity sheet

CVC words:

CVC activity book

CVC words Powerpoint

Maths support:

1-20 number formation

ordering numbers powerpoint

ordering numbers worksheet

18th May 2020

Good morning everyone.Boré da! Here we go again… the weeks seem to be flying by. First and foremost, I hope everyone and their families are well. I hope you’re all happy at home and keeping yourselves occupied, and have enjoyed some of the activities that I put online last week. It’s been quiet for me this week, so if you can, please keep me up to date with what you are doing through J2E (speech bubbles in your files or the new ‘messages’ link on the home page) or Class Dojo! I’d love to hear from you.

Anyway, here’s some more activities and links for you to have a go at this week. If you wish to continue with any of the tasks from previous weeks, please do. Hope you enjoy! Hwyl fawr.

ENGLISH:

Writing units: Y1-Sayeeda the Pirate            Y2-Rainbows, rainbows everywhere

Story time– listen and enjoy: ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhJrLVu3T0

Also please continue to read on a daily basis.

Practise spellings of HF words. flash card list

MATHS:

This week I would like you to focus on ‘Time’ so have has much practise and help as you can. If you have clocks around the house please use them as often as you can. Can you tell the time to the hour? Can you use ‘half past,’ ‘quarter past,’ and ‘quarter to?’

There is some work in your home workbooks that may help :

Year 2, workbook 3 pages 35-38.

Year 1, workbook 3 pages 25-28.

Here are links to other activities that may be useful:

Time PPT

telling the time

blank clockfaces

TOPIC:

Branching database: Can you create a branching database on plants and flowers? watch my tutorial below:

The Scented Garden challenge:

Flowers and herbs have heavenly scents. Using what we know about the amazing smells of flowers and herbs, try making a gift with a gorgeous fragrance for someone you know who’s very special!

You could make:

1. a pot of aromatic herby butter
  2. a packet of luscious lavender and lemon biscuits
  3. a sachet of perfumed potpourri
  4. a sweet and stinky pomander
  5. a fragrant lavender bag

WELSH:

Click on this link to practise weather based on the book ‘We’re going on a Bear Hunt’: Bear hunt weather forecast FPh

Links to Tric a Chlic:

Level 1: Yellow/ Melyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRdSMyifDo

Level 2: Blue: Glas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=719msN10jxQ

Level 3: Green/ Gwyrdd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD5H-G7FFZo

Level 4: Pink/ Pinc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxSuH9Yzyk

Level 5: Grey/ Llwyd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdq5BOlXV20

There are more of these that have now been added onto YouTube if you would like to try others.

This link includes all the Year 1 and 2 language patterns that you can practise: Year 1 and 2 patterns

PE/GAMES:

or

time how long it takes you to do:

Have fun…!!!

You could also try:

Joe Wickes

5 a day fitness

Mr. Ffit

11th May 2020

Boré da! It’s been another glorious week with the weather. I hope that everyone is well, keeping safe and keeping themselves happy. Well done to everyone that has been carrying out school-based activities from the website. I have seen some lovely pieces of work in the J2E files this week. Please check any comments that are left and feel free to respond! I hope that some of you had a look at the VE Day assembly on the school website. I’m sure that many of you took part in some of the celebrations that took place on Friday- I know that there was plenty of bunting, posters and street celebrations where I live (albeit at a safe distance from other people)! Anyway, I’ve added some more activities for you for this week. Please try some of them out and if you can leave any work on HWB as I love to see it! If not, don’t worry- but enjoy the activities you are doing at home. Keep safe and keep well. Hwyl fawr!

ENGLISH

I hope some of you enjoyed the ‘Talk4Writing’ activities I added last week. Please continue with them if you haven’t. This week I have added 2 more for you to try. (I have made a voluntary donation for these resources to Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity as it states on page 1, so please don’t feel that you have to – only if you wish to)

Y1- Pippety Skycap

Y2-The Elves and the Shoemaker

Story: This week, I have included for you a link to the story ‘Stick Man’ by Julia Donaldson being read by the illustrator Alex Scheffler:

STICK MAN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFhJrLVu3T0

MATHS:

This week I would like you to practise ‘Money’

Recognise the value of different coins.

Explore different ways of paying for items up to 20p/ 50p/ or even £1

Can you work out how much change you need from 10p/ 20p/ or even £1

Here are some activities that can help you:

Year 2Adult Information Easier Questions  Medium Questions Harder Ability Questions

Year 2 Maths Mastery Money Powerpoint

Year 1year-1-maths-mastery-money-powerpoint

coin detectives

counting coins

TOPIC:

This week I would like you to think about the life cycle of a plant and to consider what plants need to help them grow.

Please continue with any of the topic work from previous weeks if not done.

what does a healthy plant need PPT

plant growth sequencing activity

lifecycle of a flower

lifecycle of a plant

and here are some small topic activities to help support MATHS:

plants- colour by numbers: subtraction

plants- number mosaic

WELSH:

Links to Tric a Chlic:

CHALLENGE: can you find out the names of different flowers in Welsh?.. maybe you could draw them and name them (in Welsh) on JIT5

PE/GAMES

I hope you all enjoyed taking part and creating games and activities in your garden last week. More of the same this weeks please!

It is very important that you keep active on a daily basis. If you have a garden, think of all the different activities that you can do outside to keep fit. Do you have space to play games? throwing and catching, kicking balls? What athletic activities can you do in the space? Races back and forth? Perhaps you could time yourself? See if you can beat your time! What about the long jump? How far can you jump? Can you measure how far you travelled? See if you can beat your time! How many times can you walk around the garden before you get tired? How many times can you walk around the garden in 5 minutes?

If you don’t have space in a garden, or would prefer to keep active inside, try: 5 a day fitness, Joe Wickes

or Mr. Ffit.

Joe Wickes

5 a day fitness

Mr. Ffit

4th May 2020

Boré da! Hope you are all safe and well and that all of you have had an enjoyable week. Well done to everyone that has been carrying out work that I have put onto this page. If you’ve been working in books at home that’s great, but it has been lovely to see some good quality work in your J2E files (I will leave comments in the speech bubbles in your files and feel free to make comments back). I’ve seen poems, pictograms, rainbows, paintings and lots of maths and spelling practice, so a big well done to all of you! If there is any of the work from the previous weeks that you haven’t finished or would like to continue with, please do…  in the meantime, here are some more activities that you can. try this week!

I’m sure you are all being very kind at home and thoughtful towards others. Please think this week about everything that you do that is ‘being kind.’ Maybe offer to help do a job around at the house. Maybe tidy your room when asked (or without even being asked), maybe just smile at somebody or tell them what you like about them. Maybe just a ‘please’ or ‘thank you’ when needed. What can you do do be extra kind this week?

HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYONE! (and I look forward to seeing you all soon)

ENGLISH

Attached below are 2 units of work- you could try either of them.

There are lots of activities included and would be good to work on with an adult to help. Enjoy!

Y1-Sidney Spider

Y2-Magical Teaching Box

TOPIC:

Make a graph: see video below

challenges:

Can you make some art work out of what you find in your garden?

Can you plant seeds or bulbs?

Can you find out about some of the plants growing in your garden or in your local area?

Can you measure and compare some of the plants in your garden?

MATHS

This week I would like you to work on ‘Doubling and Halving’

try this booklet and see how you far you can get:Doubling and halving booklet

Year 2 could also try some work on ‘finding differences.’ Try this link:

Finding differences

You could also continue to work on tables, addition and subtraction:

times tables poster– continue to practise times tables

Practise +-

Use J2E – J2Blast- SATsBlast Level 1. See how you get and you can move up the levels as you improve.

WELSH

Continue to practise patterns from this sheet. Welsh patterns Y12

Beth wit ti’n hoffi? (what do you like?)

Continue to practise ‘colours’ and create rainbow poster (if you haven’t done one already.

Welsh colours flashcards

welsh- enfys

PE/GAMES

or Mr. Ffit.

Joe Wickes

5 a day fitness

Mr. Ffit

You can subscribe to these channels.

27th April 2020

Good morning everyone. I hope you’ve had a good week and that everyone is well. Thanks to everyone who has logged on to the website, viewed videos, watched the assemblies and carried out bits of work at home. It has been nice to see some of you have used HWB and work is in your files. Remember that if you are unable to access the internet, you can do work on paper or in books and of course make use of the workbooks that were send home. Anyway- here is some more work for you to carry on with for this week. (If there are things you haven’t done from last week, you can also continue some of these activities).

Take care everyone!- Mr. Curtis

ENGLISH: follow the links below

English 27th April

a walk around

High Frequency words

TOPIC:

Try picking a dandelion clock. How many puffs to blow it out?

Count daisies. How many are there? Can you make a pictogram to show what flowers you found.

Make a pictogram … see video link if unsure how to use it.

MATHS:

Practise +-

addition

challenge cards

PE Games:

or Mr. Ffit.

Joe Wickes

5 a day fitness

Mr. Ffit

You can subscribe to these channels.

WELSH

Practise patterns from this sheet. Welsh patterns Y12

Pa ddydd ydy hi? (what day is it?)

Sut mae’r tywydd heddiw? (what is the weather like today)

Can you remember the days of the week?  Days of the week song

If you haven’t finished your poster from last week please continue.

20th April 2020

Hello! Bore Da!

I hope everyone is well, keeping safe, and enjoying the lovely weather we have been having. It feels very strange not being back in school this week and I’m sure that everybody is looking forward to when we can all safely return to our ‘normal’ routines. Our topic for this half-term is ‘The Scented Garden’ and we will be exploring the astounding world of plants and flowers.  Through the half-term I will be uploading a range of activities and tasks on a weekly basis that I would like you to have a go at if you can. Ideally, I would like you to do the work on HWB (using J2E- JIT5) as this work will be saved in your files and I will be able to access it from my computer and add comments. Alternatively, you could complete the work at home on paper. I hope you enjoy the work and try your best if you can. The most important thing, however, is that you keep happy, and keep safe!!…… Mr. Curtis

TOPIC:

please look around your garden and see what plants are growing. (If you don’t have a garden, you could have a look around outside in your local area when you are out for daily exercise- REMEMBER TO BE WITH AN ADULT AND KEEP SAFE DISTANCE AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE)

Take pictures of some plants/flowers. Can you find out what they are? Use the internet to research them.

Draw a picture of them. You could use J2E (JIT5 paint) Alternatively, use paper, pens, crayons, paint etc.

MATHS:

Follow the links below to see this weeks activities:

Maths 20th April

Times tables practise can be done using J2Blast, or use the sheet on the link below:

times tables poster

You can use this number grid to pick numbers and name 1 more, and 1 less:

number square to 100

ENGLISH:

Please continue to read books on a daily basis. Record any reading you do in your reading record if you can.

Please continue to practise your handwriting from the books in your home learning packs.

Continue to practise your spelling from your High Frequency word list. Alternatively, use this link to access further words: High Frequency words

Writing: please look around your garden and see what plants are growing. (If you don’t have a garden, you could have a look around outside in your local area when you are out for daily exercise- REMEMBER TO BE WITH AN ADULT AND KEEP SAFE DISTANCE AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE) Make a list of what plants you can see growing. Write down words that describe what they are like. Think about what they look and smell like. Please remember that some plants can be poisonous so if you aren’t sure please try not to touch them and always wash your hands after. Ove the next couple of weeks I would like you to write poems about plants.

WELSH/ CYMRAEG:

This link outlines activities for the week: Welsh W.B 20.4

This link is an activity to create a rainbow poster in Welsh: Sgram – Fy enfys i -NHS version

If you would like to continue to keep active and use Welsh at the same time, here is the link for Mr Ffit Pum Munud i Symud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1aNVOrc-k

PE/Games:

If you don’t have space in a garden, or would prefer to keep active inside, try: 5 a day fitness, Joe Wickes,(see links below) or Mr. Ffit (see link in Welsh section)

I hope you all enjoy these activities and I will upload some more next week. Keep safe and I really look forward to seeing you all soon!

Mr. Curtis